Welcome back! ILS is starting off the new year in full gear, and we have a lot of great events planned for all of you in the next month!! We are all very excited for these events and look forward to seeing you all there!
International Law Week (IL Week):
Our annual INTERNATIONAL LAW WEEK is just around the corner! Starting February 11th to 15th, the International Law Society will be putting on a variety of events on and off campus. They include:
– documentary screenings,
– career panels,
– panel discussions with practitioners,
– a visit to a nearby embassy for a cultural presentation, and
– a surprise keynote speaker!
International Law Week will culminate with an Embassy Gala, held every year at a different embassy and one of the few and very popular formal events offered at GW Law. More information to be sent out to you soon.
Next GBM – Tuesday, January 15th @ 8:00 p.m.:
Our next General Body Meeting will be held this coming Tuesday, January 15th @ 8:00 p.m. Come enjoy some snacks and drinks as we discuss details about international law week and how members can get involved assisting with events. This meeting will be short and sweet. We will also pass out hand-outs with details about all of our upcoming events.
ILS Happy Hour @ Science Club Wednesday, Jan. 23 6-8 p.m.:
Come hang out and meet fellow ILS members and alumni over some great cocktail specials. Location: Science Club, 1136 19th Street Northwest Washington, D.C. 20036.
ILS Bake Sale – January 28-29th
Help support ILS and enjoy some freshly baked desserts, breakfast treats, and warm beverages! We will be in the hard lounge on Monday and Tuesday the week of the 28th.
The 3rd Annual “Live from L” – Thursday, Jan. 10th, from 12:00 – 2:00 p.m.
The Office of the Legal Adviser, U.S. Department of State, along with GW Law, will be hosting a live webinar that will be screened in the law school moot court room. Registration is required and is free for all law students. Students will be able to ask questions, time permitting.
Topic: “International Lawyering for the U.S. Government in an Era of Smart Power: Emerging Issues for the Next Four Years.” Cosponsored by The American Society of International Law and The George Washington University School of Law. Law Students may sign up for the webcast for FREE: CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TODAY.
(1) Harold Hongju Koh, Legal Adviser, U.S. Department of State
(2) Susan Biniaz – Climate Change, Deputy Legal Adviser, U.S. Department of State
(3) Paul Dean – Treaties & Executive Agreements, Assistant Legal Adviser, Treaty Affairs, U.S. Department of State
(4) Alexandra Perina – The Laws of War and Cyberconflict, Assistant Legal Adviser, Political-Military Affairs, U.S. Department of State
(5) Kevin Baumert – South China Sea, Attorney-Adviser, Oceans, Environmental and Scientific Affairs, U.S. Department of State
(6) Moderator, Susan L. Karamanian – Associate Dean for International and Comparative Legal Studies, George Washington University School of Law
We look forward to seeing you next Tuesday at 8 p.m. for our next General Body Meeting! Room location will be emailed to you as soon as it has been confirmed.